Sunday, February 6, 2011

Reflection #2 2/1/11 through 2/6/11

English 436 Reflection #2 by Bernie Sapir for the dates 2-1/11through 2-6-11

By now I thought I would already have read this week’s reading but instead I reread all of last week’s Gorgias and Plato, getting a better understanding, plus, watched “Allegory of the Cave” again on YouTube. I also looked at a few classmates’ Blogs, gleaning some valuable ideas, and went over Dr. Wexler’s computer notes, which helped me see things clearer and more in perspective. After reviewing over last week’s class and material, I have less dogmatic views of both Gorgias and Plato. I want to believe that if I was adept at rhetoric and sophistry, then I would use my talents ethically. Of course, Gorgias of Leontini did not have that as a priority; however, he was ethical, or at least truthful, in acknowledging arêtē, excellence in virtue, was not his priority, which Plato gave him credit for. Actually, quite often rhetoric saves one from humiliation. Plato, in his Phaedrus, actually condemns writing and extols speaking because it is more authentic (Leitch 43-44). I would like to have it both ways: be articulate and persuasive in both.
I read somewhere that the Socrates in Plato’s Republic is not his teacher but an entirely different character, which has created some question marks for me. Nevertheless, it is clear that Plato would sacrifice censoring Poetry that may have had a deleterious impact on the city community. As Dr. Wexler mentioned something to the effect that there is a balancing act in society over too much freedom and keeping a stable community. What is actually good for the whole?
Getting back to Plato’s “Allegory of the Cave,” I need to replay the last couple of minutes, which confused me a bit. The audio is lacking somewhat on that clip. The very ending was clearer to me, however, in that the enlightened one should go back to the cave for the betterment of the unenlightened slaves and try to altruistically help them, even though it may be dangerous.  I’m looking forward to reading Aristotle, Longinus, delving into my Analysis#1, and working on my Group Project.

No comments:

Post a Comment