Monday, February 14, 2011

Reflection on my Contribution to Group Presentation 2-15-11

English 436: Reflection of my contribution to Group Led Discussion on Classical Criticism and Theory

Tomorrow we will give our Group Presentation for Discussion and I’m somewhat apprehensive because we haven’t gotten together for a dry run yet. The first night that we formed our group, I wrote out the five members' emails and phone numbers and then emailed the list to everyone in the group. Although there are five of us, only three of us have shared our film clips with each other. In the meantime, I chose a speech clip from the film, The Great Debaters, and tried to relate it to Aristotle’s and Longinus’s tenants. I am not ecstatic with my finished product, but I know that as a result of working hard on it I have been able to learn more of classical criticism and theory. Tonight, I called all our members and was able to get a commitment from Brian to meet before class. He also gave me a neat website to get the text from the actors’ speeches, which I will try to obtain after I submit this reflection.

As far as the film that I’m focusing on, when I had seen it at a theatre a few years ago, I knew that I was experiencing something special, especially the segment I’m showing. Since that time, I have shown it numerous times to my high school English classes, and now that I have woven Aristotle’s rhetoric and Longinus’s sublimity through and around it, perhaps I can share that with my students. However, the important business at hand is how I can involve my fellow classmates tomorrow in a discussion while contributing some salient points myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment