Saturday, February 12, 2011

Reflection #3

English 436 Reflection #3 Covering 2-7-11 through 2-11-11

It is a minute past midnight, Saturday morning, and I finally feel comfortable enough to do some writing, at least, on my reflection for the week. This is the first installment of a few other pieces due this week: next, the analysis #1 for classical criticism/theory, which I finally feel better prepared for after having reread Longinus “On Sublimity” real slowly tonight, and then on my contribution for the group project that we will be presenting this coming Tuesday. As Dr. Wexler suggested we should give our presentation from more of a Longinus perspective, I needed to get a more tangible grasp on his discourse. Also, Professor O’Neill's and Dr. Wexler's excellent reviews reinforced my reading of Plato, and particularly, Aristotle this week; I finally feel the sensation of standing on firmer ground.

Watching and analyzing the speeches from Wall Street helped ground and prepare me for what is expected in my first analysis, and although I will try to incorporate Gorgias, Plato, and Aristotle, Longinus’s “ On Sublimity” will actually dominate. When I first read Longinus last weekend I had the impression he discoursed in very general terms; however, upon rereading his essay tonight, I realized he has a lot of very substantive and eloquent discourse. Of course, we may never know for sure who actually wrote “On Sublimity,” similar to the controversy regarding Shakespeare’s (?) works.

This has been a particularly hectic couple of weeks for me: my five-week progress report for my high school students was due today, and in addition, I am in the middle of teaching several six-hour Saturdays for CAHSEE preparation. Therefore,I will resume my writing later in the afternoon, and will certainly feel better when everything, including our group presentation, goes well.

No comments:

Post a Comment